BREAST REDUCTION OPERATION
It is the process of shrinking and introducing the breasts, which are extremely large and saggy, into shape. Excessive growth and sagging may occur in the breasts due to excessive weight gain, genetic and hormonal causes, advancing age, certain medications and tumors. It is possible in breast reduction surgery to obtain a smaller, lighter and aesthetic breast by removing more breast tissue, adipose tissue and skin.
- Aesthetically unpleasant appearance (size, sagging, enlargement of the nipple area, presence of the nipple at a level lower than the under-breast fold)
- Difficulties in the use of underwear and clothes
- Complaints of pain in neck, shoulder and back
- Formation of nipples under the breast due to excessive sweating
- Skeletal system disorders
REASONS TO DO
POINTS TO CONSIDER BEFORE THE SURGERYPre-surgical breast examination must be performed. In cases where there is a danger or in people over 40 years of age, the chest should be evaluated by mammography and/or breast ultrasonography and decided for the operation.
AGE OF SURGERYBreast reduction surgery can be performed from the age of 17-18, when it completes the development of breast tissue, but in some special cases it can also be performed at an earlier age.
THE OPERATION METHODSThere are many methods defined for breast reduction surgeries. Also there are cases when each method is advantageous or not. A suitable method is selected according to the age, examination findings and wishes of the patient. For example, in a young patient who wants to breastfeed in the future, methods in which milk ducts are protected are preferred. With these methods, the probability of breastfeeding the patient's baby in the future is the same as that of people who have not had surgery. Basically targeted regardless of the method chosen for surgery;
- Removal of excess breast and skin tissue from the body
- Moving the sagging nipple to the height it should be
- The reshaping of breast tissue
ANESTHESIA METHOD AND DURATIONBreast reduction surgeries are performed under general anesthesia and the surgery takes an average of 3 hours. A thin tube (drain) is placed on both sides of the chest to take out the blood and fluids that may occur in the first few days. The patient is discharged the day after the surgery. Patients can return to their daily activities and business process after a few days wearing a recommended bra.
HEALING DURATIONAfter breast reduction surgeries, the pain that occurs during the healing phase is easily controlled with the drug and disappears on the first or second day. The patient comes to check up at intervals of 2-3 days. Stitches are taken between the 10th and 12th days. Due to postoperative tissue swelling, some loss of sensation may develop in the nipple and breast skin. This is usually temporary. If the patient does not have a problem with wound healing, the scar that will occur after the operation will become invisible at the end of 1 year.
- Very little fluid or crusting that leaks from your surgical site is usual.
- For 3-4 weeks you should avoid lifting or pushing anything heavy.
- You should limit your exercises for several weeks.
- You should use the bra regularly which is recommended by your doctor.
- It will take up to 6-8 weeks for your wound areas to soften and strengthen your tissues. During this period, you should avoid any intervention other than a slight contact with your breasts.
- If you have an expectation about breastfeeding, you will not physically prevent it because your surgery will be performed by protecting the milk ducts in this respect
- Since your breast touch also contains a certain amount of fat tissue, there will still be partial changes in your breast size by gaining and losing weight or hormonal changes.
- However, this is a limited growth and your breasts do not return to their former size.
- As a result of breast reduction surgery, you will be less likely to have breast cancer as a result of some breast touching. However, since there is a possibility of developing cancer in the breast tissue left behind, you need to continue your follow-up in terms of cancer.